Thursday, May 13, 2010

Final Post

Because I studied both Autism Speaks and the Autism Society of America, I was able to get a good perspective on both organizations.

Autism Speaks does a phenomenal job of fundraising. They are the more famous of the two organizations, and the one that celebrities like to attach themselves to. However, Autism Speaks truly fails as a community-based organization. No where on the website was I able to find links that allow parents to talk to other parents. Additionally, though I e-mailed multiple people on the board, I never got a response. Ever. Not after 2 months. Had I been a scared parent whose child was recently diagnosed, I would have been very frustrated. So while fundraising is a huge, important part of social change groups, so is community, especially when the group involves people related to a disease.

The Autism Society of America is successful in their ability to engage parents. They are the older of the two, and they are where you should go when your kid is diagnosed and you are scared. They are great at communicating, and all their board members are parents of children with autism. They are revamping their business model right now to imitate a more corporate model. Hopefully this will allow them to fundraise more effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment